Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It's been awhile....

Not much new to post but I figured it's been too long not to update something. Went to the doctor January 4th....even though my appointment was for January 6th. We originally said the 4th, and then before I left the office in December we switched it to the 6th, since that was easier for Billy to make.....somehow I still had the 4th stuck in my head. Thankfully they took us anyway...the appointments are only about 7 minutes long so I don't see why they couldn't anyway....my brain is really slipping away, slowly but surely.

Although I am getting a little annoyed with my OBGYN. I realize the average doctor appoint is under 10 minutes long, they need to get in and out, see more patients, make money, etc. But I feel like I have no idea what is going on in my pregnancy. If it wasn't for books or the Internet (which may or may not be a good thing), I'd be clueless. The doctor basically just asks me how I'm feeling. Doesn't do ultrasounds, not even a 14-week ultrasound....doesn't touch my stomach....they do blood pressure and a urine sample every visit so I guess it's something, but I feel like I have no clue what is going on or what I should be doing.

In fact I read that I should be having my gestational diabetes screening between week 24 and 28. I am almost into week 26 and my next doctor appointment isn't until the end of week 27 which is pushing it. When are they gonna give me the script for this? I had to call them myself last week to ask about it. Maybe things like that don't HAVE to be done in the time frame the Internet tells me it does, but I feel like at least a MENTION of it should have been made at my last appointment. If I didn't call and ask, would it have ever been addressed? I just feel like if I don't ask about something, it doesn't come up. I don't even know what I should be asking or what I should be feeling.

I don't know. Maybe I'm overreacting, but as a first time mother, I feel like they should be guiding me and informing me more than they do.

I originally started seeing one doctor and didn't really have a problem with her. They suggested I see her partner a few time, too, just so I get used to both of them and am familiar with whoever is there when I go into labor. I've seen the partner the past 3 visits. Her bedside manner is much friendlier than the original doctor, but I dont get as much technical information from her. So February I am going back to the original doctor. Maybe that will help things.

I'm hoping to stick with her from now til May. If things improve, great. Although I have a feeling I won't be returning to this practice for my 2nd child. I'm really shocked, too, because my GP recommended this doctor because HIS wife went to her when she was pregnant. If a doctor's wife goes to them, they have to be good right? Guess not!

Any other recent moms out there have similar experiences with their OBGYNs?

5 comments:

  1. I think most doctors are the same way. Esp at the stage you are in in your pregnancy and you're healthy and normal. I remember feeling like those were the most pointless visits ever. I had a similar situation as you with a couple doctors in the one practice. I had heard GREAT things about Dr. M. And he kind of sucked. It was the same as your experience. In and out. I'd pee in a cup and he'd ask if I have any questions. I didn't do my glucose test until I was 30 something weeks. Then when I was like 36 weeks he told me he was switching practices. I could switch practices with him or I could go to a different doctor in the current practice. Well I jumped at the chance to switch doctors. Dr. Huish was the MAN. First of all - he gave me his card to give to the nurse when I arrived at hospital to ensure he would be the doctor delivering. That meant a lot to me, because I really wanted the doctor I was comfortable with to be the one that delivered. Then I used him from the getgo with Abs and he was awesome. Still not much to do at those appointments but he'd always do random stuff that I was sure he was doing just to do something, but it made me feel like it wasn't a waste of my time. He always measured my belly. And would tap on my back and ask if it hurt. No clue why, but he always did. He'd check my feet and ankles. Stuff like that. For baby number 3 though I think I'm going to see a midwife.

    Anyway this is super long, but if you are not comfortable I would switch doctors. It will be worth it. You don't want a horrible birthing experience and the right doctor makes a lot of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you switch practices right in the middle? I like Dr. A better than Dr. B at this practice, but am not particulary thrilled with either of them at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt exactly like that with my OB practice, I blogged about some of it at one point. There are 6 OBs at mine and they would rotate so you "got to know" all of them but that never actually happened because they only spent two minutes in the room with you. Not once did they talk about what you should expect at any given point in the pregnancy or anything like that. They ask if you have any questions but when it's your first pregnancy you don't know what questions you should be asking. This is why I will definitely be switching when it's time for another baby, but it's unfortunate because the first pregnancy is when you really need their attention the most. You can definitely switch in the middle, I know someone who switched a week before her baby was born. All of the problems I had with them during my pregnancy carried over into the care after my delivery, I honestly wish I would have switched earlier but I thought "maybe they're all like this," but after talking to others I know that's definitely not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do whatever you want. I'd call my insurance company to make sure there's no problems there - I think some insurance companies pay the doctor after delivery for everything. Like some lump sum. So I don't know how it would work, if your current practice gets jipped. I don't know. But I'm sure you could have all your medical info transferred. I'm sure it would be a pain, but maybe worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always had my glucose tests at 28 weeks. Im sorry you are having problems with your doctor... try having a list of questions ready the next time and read them off to her. That way you get EXACTLY the information you want. It's hard to remember everything when you are in then office because things happen in such a blur. so the best advice I can give is to write questions down as you think of them over the next few weeks and then take that with you. Don't trust the internet too much. Everyone has an opinion but the best opinion to trust is your drs!!

    ReplyDelete