Thursday, April 28, 2011

About to friggin pop.

So today is the last day of my 39th week. Tomorrow I begin 40 -- aka hopefully the LAST WEEK -- of my pregnancy.

Since my last post, Baby William has definitely flipped around. As of the last post, I was debating between going through with the version procedure or not. I decided over the weekend before the procedure to cancel it. I called Monday morning and did so. Sometime on Monday eventhing there was a lot of movement going on in my belly. And then I felt little pokes and kicks in different areas, more vertical than horizontal. And I had a feeling he had flipped into position. When I went to the doctor last Thursday (4/21), she confirmed that he had, in fact, flipped. I was so proud of my son for knowning what to do and doing it, even when the doctors said there was a slim chance at this stage and size of him moving out of a breech position.

I go back this afternoon to the doctor and hoping he is still in position. I think he has, but he has moved once so I am not putting anything past this little guy. I am hoping for some good news as far as dilating or effacement or dropping. People say my belly looks like it is lower now so I am hoping he has dropped. Although last week the doctor said he was still pretty high, so we'll see what she says.

It has been so hot lately, I can't stand it. I don't know how women go thru the summer months in their third trimesters. Even second. I am glad I was only pregnant end of August and September and at those points was only a few months. I think I'll try to plan future pregnancies around this same timeline lol.

I also don't get women who say they loved being pregnant. Sure it has its good moments. But I am guessing these women never got to 39 weeks because I'm sorry but it is torturous. You're big. You're hot. You're swollen. You are no energy, even though you have so much left to do to prepare for the very near arrival. Oh get people telling you "any day now!!!" when you feel like delivery is a lifetime away. Any day my foot. People have been saying that to me for weeks and still NOTHING lol. "Hang in there!" As if I have some other option lol. At least I know it can't be too much longer now.

Don't get me wrong, most of the pregnancy, minus the second half of the first trimester when I was battling morning sickness, and this last 9th month, has been great. But pregnancy is no cakewalk, and God bless the women who go through it with no problems!

Last week the doctor said if I am still undelivered at my due date (May 6) then they will send me for another ultrasound to see how big the baby has gotten. I am assuming if he is big (which he will be, as 2 wks ago he was 7 1/2 lbs already), they will induce me, as to not keep this huge child in me any longer. I remember the childbirth class instructor saying at a certain point when the baby gets too big, the mother can no longer provide as well for him so it's best to get the baby out. I'm hoping to go on my own before next Friday, but I will be more than willing to do whatever the doctor thinks is best for me and William at that time.

I will update later with any new developments from today's appointment!! Just think, a BABY will be here any time from RIGHT NOW to at the latest, 2 weeks from now.....aaaaah!!!!!!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Update of last Thursday, April 7th, we were on schedule. William was in the right position and ready to go. I was 50% effaced, so the process had begun. Somewhere between Thursday afternoon and my ultrasound Monday morning, this little gymnast decided to flip into a frank breech position, where his little butt would come out first if I were to go into labor.

So my options are to wait and see if he flips back naturally, and if not, schedule a c-section for the 39th week OR to undergo an external cephalic version, where the doctor will manually manipulate my abdomen to turn the baby externally. This procedure is only effective 50% of the time and even if it does work, there is no guarantee that he will not move back anyway. If he does move back, c-section it is. If he doesn't, I wait for labor to begin naturally. They will not let me have natural birth while he is frank breech. There is a small risk that on the day of the procedure I'd have to have an emergency c-section, if the baby becomes distressed during the process. I read that the chances of that are 1 in 1000 and the doctor performing the version said in 25 years he hasn't had to do it.

I made an appt for the version for next Wednesday. Still deciding if I am going to keep the appt or not. I guess there is no real harm in going through with the procedure, but I just want to make sure I am doing what is best for the baby.

So after finding that out on Monday I was a pretty big wreck most of the day. On top of that news, they told us he was 7.5 lbs already...WITH 3 WEEKS TO GO. So I'm pretty sure I'll be giving birth to a giant. I know the average is just that, an average, but when you are no in that average range, you worry. I want him to be "average" and "normal". I understand that just because he is bigger doesn't mean anything is wrong, you just dont want to hear anything out of the ordinary when you are pregnant. You want everything to go smoothly and according to plan.

So between those 2 bit of news, my crazy hormones, my increasing nerves about the reality of actually having a child to take care of for the next 18 years starting in as little as 1 week....I was just all sorts of crazy.

I have calmed down a lot since then. Not as nervous, just, again, want to do what's best, even if that means scheduling a section.

I am so ready for this all to be over and to have him here safe and healthy. But I'm sure it will only get harder once he is here lol.